[horde] Repost again: Problems logging in

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Sep 3 18:20:46 UTC 2007

    I'm a bit disappointed that no one has been able to help me figure
out what's going on, not even as much as telling me things to look for
that may be causing a problem.  I'll re-post the whole scenario again
here, with even more information...

    Two machines:
        users.server.com
        This machine contains all the user accounts and also where their
e-mail boxes are stored.

        webmail.server.com
        This machine contains a WORKING setup of Horde/IMP, they're just
old versions.

    With the current OLD version, everyone can log in with no problem
what so ever.  The machine is setup to do imap/notls connections.

    Now, a few weeks ago I decided to install a completely new version
of Horde/IMP on the same (webmail.server.com) machine.  I started with
groupware webmail but when that didn't work, I went my usual route;
installing the applications one by one, from the ground up.

    So, I started by creating a completely NEW database (on the same
machine) for this new installation.  Installed Horde and configured it.
Then I went through installing Turba and Gollem and configured both.  I
tested Gollem and it works.  Finally I installed IMP and configured it
as well.  Now the fun starts.

    When I hit /horde/imp/test.php everything comes up correct.  And at
the bottom I can enter the credentials for a particular user and the
page comes with with a successful log in and all the pertinent
information for that user's mailbox displayed.

    However when I hit /horde/imp/login.php I can log in with just about
any user ... EXCEPT that same user I just used in the test scenario (so
far).  On the old setup, this user can log in without a problem.  On the
new installation on the other hand when this user attempts to log in, it
just sits there for about 30 seconds and then the screen will refresh
and it's back at the login.  When looking at the imap server, it shows
that the user successfully authenticated and 30 seconds later
successfully logged off.

    Please keep in mind that these are both the same exact machines onto
which the old Horde/IMP installation works.  Nothing has changed.

    Okay, so then someone suggested it's the version c-client that's
causing my problems.  So I decided to pull a 3rd machine into the mix,
one that's brand new, has FC7 on it, with the latest c-client available
which I found to be libc-client2006-2006g.  The result?  Same old
thing.  Everyone can log in except the same one user (so far.)

    I looked in horde.log - no errors
    I looked in apache log files - no errors
    I looked into PHP for errors - nothing

    This morning, on a whim, I decided to change the setup to use pop3
instead - lo and behold the problematic user can log in without a
problem.  When I switched it back to imap/notls, the problem returned.
This tells me a couple of things:

    a) it's not the c-client version because then everyone would have
       the same problem and they're not.

    b) the problematic user doesn't have any kind of weird hooks that's
       causing problems since they can log in through pop3 just fine.

    c) this user can also use Thunderbird and communicate with the server
       just fine, and it's being done through imap.

    d) it's not a user preference issue because the database, as of
       right now, is completely clean of any preferences.  I created a
       brand new one to work with.

    e) in the test scenario /horde/imp/test.php, this user can log in
       and get their mailbox information displayed and get the available
       protocols for IMP to use.  This means the log in was successful.

    So I ask again, can someone please tell me what might be going on,
what should I be looking for, where should I be looking for problems?
If you want to see config files, by all means ask me for them.  I have
to solve this problem because we're going to retire the old server but I
can't do that till I can get Horde/IMP up and running properly.

    And if the developers are around, I want to hear your input as well,
please.  I'd really hate to pitch Horde/IMP because of this, though that
would be my only alternative here.

    Thank you.

    -- A