[horde] Horde Implementation Going South

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Sep 5 15:58:57 UTC 2007

Quoting Dave Cunningham <dcunningham at meccorp.mec.edu>:

> 1.) Sometimes a single Apache process quickly builds up and eats 30,
> 40 or even 50% of the ram on the system.  Sometimes this process
> finishes.  Other times, especially if the overall system load is
> already high, it simply hangs and eventually brings down the entire
> web server.  I then have to kill and restart apache.  I have tried
> tweaking httpd, following the performance suggestions provided with
> the horde documentation.  Keepalives are on and the number of
> threads is high.
>
> 2.) MYSQL - We have mysql running on a separate server of the same
> specs.  It frequently uses 100% of BOTH cpus in what appears, by
> using myTop, to be a bunch of Join statements on the horde_datatree
> table. Switching to InnoDB seemed to make it faster at first.  But,
> as the number of sessions increased, all performance increases were
> lost and perhaps made worse.  I also tried upgrading mysql from the
> stock RHEL4 version 4 rpm to the V5 RPM from mysql.org.  There was
> no noticeable difference there.

Both of these problems sound like they have one source - datatree
queries. Horde 3.2 has some improvements here; for one thing you can
prevent users from sharing their calendars/tasklists/address
books/etc. If you don't need shares, though, simply turning the
datatree system off (move it from a sql driver to none) should resolve
these problems for you.

-chuck