[horde] Horde Implementation Going South

Dave Cunningham dcunningham at meccorp.mec.edu
Wed Sep 5 23:21:19 UTC 2007

I am not familiar with the statistics you refere to or how they would relate to Joins.  Can you expand on this?

I am not sure of the difference between describe and explain.

I was initially running session in MYSQL.  But, that was SOOO slow that I immediately disabled it, went back to php sessions and put them in /dev/shm.

Dave

--------

Is "DESCRIBE SELECT ..." the same as "EXPLAIN SELECT ..."?

EXPLAIN is the tool I have used to see how MySQL will process a query.

I recommend running ANALYZE TABLE to gather updated statistics on your
Horde tables.  The table statistics can get stale as your usage ramps up.
I run the following command nightly:

   mysqlcheck --all-databases --analyze --verbose

If your statistics are stale, MySQL may be doing JOINs inefficiently,
which is a big part of the datatree usage.

Are you storing sessions in MySQL as well?  The session table can be a
huge burden on MySQL.  A *lot* of data is stored in the session with Horde
3.x.  I've moved sessions off into memcache (running on the same server as
MySQL) and it has been a big performance improvement.

Even still, MySQL is working pretty hard.  I hope the improvements in
Horde 3.2 will help.

 	Andy