[horde] Slow progress...

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Sep 6 16:07:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    Something hit me today as I was going through the lists messages...
> Quoting Andrew Morgan earlier today as he was trying to help Dave
> Cunningham:
>
>       "Are you storing sessions in MySQL as well?  The session table can
>        be a huge burden on MySQL.  A *lot* of data is stored in the
>        session with Horde 3.x.  I've moved sessions off into memcache
>        (running on the same server as MySQL) and it has been a big
>        performance improvement."
>

>    Suddenly a light went off.  Yes, I was storing that stuff in MySQL.
> So why not try it.  I switched the method to PHP files instead (which in
> turn uses memcache) and suddenly the problematic user could log in!  So
> then what was the problem?  The data being stored in the session?
>
>    The session file for this particular user was close to 2MiB in
> size.  Holy toledo, WHY?  Open further investigation I found out that
> when the user logged in, IMP was storing a directory listing of
> *EVERYTHING* in this user's $HOME folder in the session data.  WHY IN
> THE WORLD??!

If you decide to use MySQL sessions again, check out the parameter
max_allowed_packet in my.cnf.  You'll want to increase that from the
default (1MB I believe) in order to store larger chunks of data.  From the
MySQL docs:

   You must increase this value if you are using large BLOB columns or long
   strings. It should be as big as the largest BLOB you want to use.

 	Andy