[horde] Horde3 performance problems - resolved

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Oct 1 20:48:49 UTC 2007

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

>> I've added this to the sql and upgrade scripts for Horde 3.2. Thanks again!
>
> Excellent, thanks.  Will there be another alpha release of Horde 3.2
> soon? I want to start testing Horde 3.2 in next few weeks.  :)

I think that we are definitely at a point where getting another alpha
(or an RC) out would be good. Hopefully I'll have some time to do
another sweep of the bugs db and then we'll get it done.

>>> Before I created the index above, I tried modifying
>>> buildAttributeQuery(). See the attached patch file.  This change
>>> gave a modest performance improvement.
>>
>> Unfortunately this breaks Ansel. I haven't yet had time to figure out
>> why, but some galleries simply disappear.
>
> I don't use Ansel here, but it doesn't surprise me that removing the
> GROUP BY functionality broke things.  :(

Yeah :/

> While removing the mandatory GROUP BY and ORDER BY clauses yields
> some small performance improvements, the new index is the big
> winner.  If you want to leave buildAttributeQuery() as-is, that is
> fine.  After a few more days of measuring load average to establish
> a baseline, I can revert my changes to buildAttributeQuery() and see
> if they made any appreciable difference.

Yeah, that's my idea for now.

> When is Horde 4 coming out?  Ah, I'm just messing with you...  :)

If every Horde user out there will willingly ditch BC and upgrade and
help out, then next month... now I'm messing with you. :)

-chuck