[horde] Horde 3.1.5 with non-ascii category names broken?

Marcus hordelist at quantentunnel.de
Tue Oct 9 07:58:00 UTC 2007

Marcus wrote:

> i just updated from Horde 3.1.3 and Kronolith H3 (2.1.3)
> to Horde 3.1.5 and Kronolith H3 (2.1.6)
>
> After the update i noted that one category is missing it's colors on the
> Horde portal page and in Kronolith -haven't tested other modules. This
> category has a special german caracter 'ä' in it's name (Umlaut). I have
> 4 different categorys, all defined in horde's prefs.php and locked.
>
> When editing / creating an event in Kronolith the category name isn't
> displayed properly, the special character is show as ? when viewed as
> UTF-8 Page. When i change the webbrowser's characterset for the page to
> ISO-8859-15 the special character is shown correctly while everything
> else on the page fails.
>
> I think there's somewhere a missing/wrong character conversion. I guess
> this also affects other non-ascii characters in category names like they
> have in spainish, french or swedish, but didn't test this.

I solved the problem by saving the prefs.php file as UTF-8.
Maybe there should be a hint added to the config files (at least to the
description in horde/config/prefs.php.dist) and the config files should
be distributed as UTF-8 files.

Considering the small change in version numbering, and not delivering
the config files as UTF-8 and a lot of editors w/o UTF-8 support, maybe
i'm still wrong and this is only another workaround?