[horde] Horde Handbook

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 6 19:56:21 UTC 2008

Quoting Josh Endries <josh at endries.org>:

> I just wanted to let everyone know,

Okay, but there is a doc at lists.horde.org list for documentation issues.
You might try that list for help, feedback, etc.

> I've received multiple
> complains/requests from my users for better webmail documentation, so

Yes, a common complaint.  I had written a user's guide for the previous
version, but its never been updated for the new versions.

> I've decided to write a handbook for Horde and some applications (IMP,
> Kronolith, Turba at least). I'm generally using the FreeBSD Handbook as
> a guide, which has proven invaluable to me and many others. It probably
> won't be an exhaustive list of everything you can do or change, but
> rather a basic reference for new users.

You might try using the old user's guide in CVS as a start, or a guide,
or for inspiration, or whatever.  You can view a copy of the output
(tailored for my site) at http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~ericr/horde/userguide.pdf

> If people want to help, that's cool, otherwise it will just take longer.

Yes.  Please post requests for help to doc at lists.horde.org and I will help
as much as I can.

> It's in the very early stages now (aka, I picked a title). :) I'm

Good start!

> planning on using DocBook, which is what the FreeBSD Handbook uses, and
> I found LyX which is a pretty nice DocBook editor. I've never done this
> before so I hope it turns out well!

The CVS docs that exist now are in XML + DocBook, so it should fit fairly
well.

> I'll have an SVN site set up soon.

Why not use the Horde projects CVS instead?  It is all setup and just
waiting for someone to write the docs...  I'm sure the core group will
give you access to the hordedoc module...

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin

Go Longhorns!