[horde] [kronolith] Large User Base question

Steve Devine sd at msu.edu
Wed Feb 27 20:52:30 UTC 2008

Andrew Morgan wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Steve Devine wrote:
>
>> Andy
>> Thanks for the reply and the script
>> Turns out I didn't have memcache.so as a php extension (RTFM) .. I
>> installed that so now its not failing and I have the entry as you have
>> shown above .. but I do not think its working.
>> What should I see in  /tmp on my memcache server? I think it would be
>> files like "lock.hostname.blah.blah" They would be owned by the memcache
>> process wouldn't they?
>> I do see files in /tmp like cache_09ad7829152189e6639.. but I think
>> these are php files since they are owned by wwwrun.
>
> memcached is entirely a memory based cache.  On the memcache server,
> all you see is a process that uses a lot of RAM.  However, on the
> Webmail machines, they will create lockfiles in /tmp with names like
> "lock_ffdbe502f7eb7616b158d53d97ce4348".  I can't remember why Horde
> creates those lockfiles, but I believe the new RC of Horde does it a
> different way.
>
>> I have looked and so not see a command line method to query the memcache
>> server to see what its doing.
>> Any tips? Thanks for you help.
>
> You can get a bit of information from memcache with the following PHP
> script:
>
> <?php
>
> $memcache = new Memcache;
> $memcache->addServer('your.memcache.server', 11211);
>
> $stats = $memcache->getExtendedStats();
> print_r($stats);
>
> ?>
>

>     Andy

Ok that explains it  .. there are no files in the client /tmp/dir  (We
are running Horde 3.2-RC2.)  like you describe.
I was able to prove it was working by firewalling port 11211 out for the
client  and of course it tanked. So its working.
Thanks for your help.
/sd

--
Steve Devine
Email & Storage

313 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra