[horde] Problem with UTF-8-Charsets

Christoph Mühlmann christoph at nagnag.de
Wed Mar 12 12:54:45 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've searched on google and the list-archive for a while but found no
solutions for my problem:

I am trying to configure a horde-installation on a server running Debian
to use utf-8 within horde and its applications on one side and mysql on
the other side. But when i I configure my installation in the way I did
it, I will have correct umlauts or russian chars within the horde-apps,
but in mysql (via phpMyAdmin) I have only the 8-bit-representation of
the unicode-chars (like "Standardidentität"):

- $conf['sql']['charset'] = 'utf-8';
- in mysql the database, all tables and all text-columns have the
  collation utf_general_ci.

the problem also exists, when I'm setting "Custom Parameters" for the
SQL-connections:
- $conf['sql']['charset'] = 'utf-8';
- $conf['prefs']['params']['charset'] = 'utf-8';
- $conf['datatree']['params']['charset'] = 'utf-8';
- $conf['token']['params']['charset'] = 'utf-8';
- $conf['vfs']['params']['charset'] = 'utf-8';

When I'm setting the sql-charset in horde3/conf.php to "iso-8859-1", I
have correct umlauts within horde and mysql but no russian chars for
example (only funny "?"´s on their place)

A mysqldump on the console shows the same encoding-problems, locales are
set to en_US.UTF-8...

I hope it is easy to correct this and I only had "tomatoes on my
eyes" (like we say in german language...)

Christoph Mühlmann

--

My configuration:
- in mysql the database, all tables and all text-columns have the
  collation utf_general_ci.
- in horde-config I've set these values:
  $conf['sql']['charset'] = 'utf8'; // (tried 'UTF-8' also)
  $conf['sql']['phptype'] = 'mysql';
- the apache2 webserver is configured to run with utf-8 as default
  charset.
- Versions:
  - Debian Etch
  - apache 2.2.3-4+etch4
  - php5 5.2.0-8+etch10
  - horde3 3.1.6-1 (backported from testing for better support of php5)
  - mysql-server-5.0 5.0.32-7etch5
  - phpMyAdmin 4:2.9.1.1-6