[horde] Problem with UTF-8-Charsets

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Mar 12 15:54:22 UTC 2008

Hello Christoph Mühlmann,

you have written:
> I am trying to configure a horde-installation on a server running Debian
> to use utf-8 within horde and its applications on one side and mysql on
> the other side. But when i I configure my installation in the way I did
> it, I will have correct umlauts or russian chars within the horde-apps,

This is what you are aiming at, isn’t it?

> but in mysql (via phpMyAdmin) I have only the 8-bit-representation of
> the unicode-chars (like "Standardidentität"):

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but this *is* UTF-8 -- just displayed
with the wrong terminal emulator. If you want to see the characters stored
in your database, you’ll have to use a tool capable of displaying them as
intended, i. e., capable of interpreting the encoding applied.

Try, e. g., the mlterm terminal emulator to display the strings from
your database. (But I cannot say more, as I actually haven’t tried that
emulator, personally.)

Or login as a Horde administrator, then use the menu item “Administration”/
“SQL Shell” (from the side-bar menu) to query your MySQL data base. I have
just put a polytonic-Greek nickname into the addressbook of my test account,
then executed the SQL statement:
   select object_name, object_alias
   from turba_objects
   where owner_id='Hugine.Habicht at uni-konstanz.de';
and behold! there was the nickname, perfectly readable, in the
object_alias column.

As you probably can read German, you may wish to learn more about
Unicode from my presentation
<http://www.systems.uni-konstanz.de/Otto/Vortrag/Charset/Unicode-Grundlagen>.

Good luck,
   Otto Stolz