[horde] Some emails causing blank (white/empty) inbox--messages dissappear - until those messages are deleted (Horde3/IMP)

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Apr 10 08:15:21 UTC 2008

Hello Support (or however your name may be),

you have written:
>   I discovered that the main differnece between these faulty emails and the
> working ones is that the subject line for the bad emails look like this:
>
> 	Subject:
> =?ISO8859-1?Q?Your_enrollment_in_ClientLine=AE_is_approved?=
> 	Subject: =?koi8-r?B?8NLJyM/EydTF?=
>
>   As you can see, the extra characters such as the equals sign "=" , the
> question mark "?" and the encoding type

This is a perfectly standard-conforming non-ASCII subject line,
meaning “Приходите”, cf. RFC 2047 <http://rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2047/>.

In my installation (SunOS 5.10 + PHP 5.2.5 + Horde 3.1.3 + Imp 4.1.3),
a message comprising a copy of the header-lines you have given
displays perfectly, if viewed with Firefox 2.0.0.13,
cf. attached screen-shot.

Since the KOI-8 encoded subject line has to be converted to UTF-8
to fit in the WWW form generated by Horde+Imp, I guess, something
is wrong with the conversion software, in your system.
Cf. <http://www.horde.org/horde/docs/?f=INSTALL.html#prerequisites>,
in particular the sections discussing iconv.

Good luck,
   Otto Stolz