[horde] Linux shadow file support

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Apr 29 04:14:35 UTC 2008

Quoting Sean Coleman <coleman at boulder.nist.gov>:

> After looking through the various posts in the development threads, I
> noticed
> that some work had been proposed to authenticate horde to Linux shadow file
> using md5 but reviewing the current code, it appears this has yet to be
> done. Is
> there a philosophical reason to not support linux shadow format and md5
> passwords or has no one
> simply done the work to add this capability. I ask because I am
> interested in pursuing
> this fix but don't want to do something which is not needed.

Is this not what you need?

http://cvs.horde.org/co.php?r=1.196&f=framework%2FAuth%2FAuth.php#l227

There's no philosophical reason not to, and I'm all for adding new
password encryption types if they're useful. If it's a real shadow
file, though, how are you accessing it (assuming it's owned by root
and not world readable, the point of the shadow file...)?

-chuck