[horde] Client side calendar posting to Horde WebDAV, alarms not being honored by Horde

Ryan Steele rsteele at archer-group.com
Wed Apr 30 22:00:38 UTC 2008

Michael Rubinsky wrote:
> Quoting Ryan Steele <rsteele at archer-group.com>:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> I've been having some problems getting reminders to work with Horde.  I
>> have a client-side mail/calendar app (Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 + Lightning
>> 0.8) which I use to subscribe to my Horde calendar via the WebDAV
>> interface.  I can create new events on the calendar I've subscribed to,
>> but if I add a reminder when creating the event, I can log in to the
>> Horde web interface and see there is actually no reminder for the event
>> at all.  I ran Wireshark server-side to capture the interaction between
>> my client app and the webserver, and I can see from the capture that the
>> reminder/alarm data is being sent... here is the relevant part of the
>> .ics file (only the event in question) that was sent across the wire:
>>
>> BEGIN:VEVENT
>> CREATED:20080430T202134Z
>> LAST-MODIFIED:20080430T202144Z
>> DTSTAMP:20080430T202134Z
>> UID:0e1a5b18-3dc9-4949-bb1c-8db77423e3ed
>> SUMMARY:New Event
>> DTSTART;TZID=/mozilla.org/20071231_1/America/New_York:20080501T110000
>> DTEND;TZID=/mozilla.org/20071231_1/America/New_York:20080501T120000
>> BEGIN:VALARM
>> TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:-PT15M
>> ACTION:DISPLAY
>> END:VALARM
>> END:VEVENT
>> END:VCALENDAR
>>
>> The event gets added to Horde mostly intact, save for the alarm.  Is
>> this a bug, or is Horde expecting a different descriptor (e.g., ALARM
>> instead of VALARM or something)?
>>
>> Horde 3.2-RC1
>> Kronolith 2.2-RC1
>

> Looking at the code, it is looking for 'AALARM' (Audio Alarm), which
> is part of the vCal spec, but it looks like we should be checking for
> VALARM (part of iCal spec) also?
>

> Thanks,
> mike

That sounds like a solid idea - it'd be good to support the apps
adhering to the iCal specs (or both) as well in this area.  I'm not a
software developer by trade, though I could do my best to attempt a
patch.  However, if you have an idea in mind, feel free to lead the
charge.  Any patch I provide might be workable, but slow in coming and
likely ugly.  :-)

On a separate note, thanks for all the hard work thus far - in general
I've been very happy with Horde as my Exchange killer.

Respectfully,
Ryan