[horde] Using GIT for Horde?

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Thu May 22 07:23:37 UTC 2008

Hi Chuck,

thanks for your openness to new ideas. I've also experienced inverse reactions
in other PHP groupware projects. :-)

I just repaired my horde GIT repo. I had installed gitweb in the meanwhile,
but forgot to also put a link to horde there. You can see the output at
http://git.koch.ro

I'll happily help with setting up GIT for horde. My current configuration is
one simple script:

#!/usr/bin/env sh

cd /var/www/git/horde/
export CVSROOT=":pserver:cvsread at anoncvs.horde.org:/repository"

FILES="agora
ansel
chora
<SNIP>
whups
wicked"

for FILE in $FILES
do
    echo $FILE": "
    git-cvsimport -C$FILE $FILE
done

Remember, that this script runs three days for the initial checkout when the
CVS repo is not on the same server.

> So, is this something that ideally would be hosted on a horde.org
> server, or is there no root server with GIT?

Of course you can and should have one central GIT repository. The only thing
that makes the central repo central is convention.

> including eZComponents for configuration, authentication and
> mail transport,

1) In case that there isn't yet a component inside horde, then it's better to
reuse something existent. As far as I see, the configuration in horde is done
with big arrays.

2) One of the major design goals for horde should be loosely coupling as
strict as possible. So if I like for any mysterious reason to replace the
authentication component with ezcAuthentication or Zend_Auth it should be
possible without major headaches.

BTW.: If I'd like to make my customized version of horde with some components
replaced by others, it's much more easy to do so with a distributed VCS.

Best regards,

--
Thomas Koch, Software Developer
http://www.koch.ro