[horde] How encoding works in horde?

Piotr Legiecki piotrlg at sci.pam.szczecin.pl
Wed Jun 4 06:30:10 UTC 2008

Hi

I'v been strugling with horde 3.1.3, mysql 5.0 to understand how
encoding works there. the problem is, that I can't get properly working
polish national characters (iso8859-2). Horde is set to:
$conf['sql']['charset'] = 'iso-8859-2';
is it enough?

my linux console is set to iso-8859-2. When I create horde database
(this is done by debian/stable package) it does not ask me what encoding
I want to use for this database, and the create.mysql.sql script just
does not mention anything about encoding. Should I force/set encoding of
horde database during creation?

horde itself (its www interface) is working in utf8 and it is talkig to
me in polish very well. But when I add some content to database (turba
address book, kronolith event) and the page reloads my polish characters
from that content disappear ('?' instead).

I was trying to set encoding in database, horde to different values
(utf8, latin1) to understand how it works and where the conversion
process looses the encoding but it is magic to me.

btw horde2/mysql4 worked ok on my old system.

1. I whish some good soul wold explain me about this encoding issues
2. What is the best aproach of using horde in non english environment?
Should I set the database to latin2 or leave it with default (and
default for my setup is latin1) values and let horde deal with it?

I'v seen one thread about the same problem, but the solution was more
like hack (hardcode something):
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.horde.user/18539/focus=18540
I hope there is better way.

Regards