[horde] How encoding works in horde?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Thu Jun 5 14:03:54 UTC 2008

Please post to the list.

> > Have you done "set names utf8" in mysql console when viewing the
> characters?
> > Because this is what phpmyadmin does. It set's connection encoding to
> the
> > charset on the database.
> >

> No, I hove not:
> mysql> show variables like 'character_set%';
> +--------------------------+----------------------------+
> | Variable_name            | Value                      |
> +--------------------------+----------------------------+
> | character_set_client     | latin1                     |
> | character_set_connection | latin1                     |
> | character_set_database   | utf8                       |
> | character_set_filesystem | binary                     |
> | character_set_results    | latin1                     |
> | character_set_server     | latin1                     |
> | character_set_system     | utf8                       |
> | character_sets_dir       | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
>

> and
>  > select * from turba_objects;
> shows good characters
>
> but after
>  > set names utf8;
> I'm having wrong characters, *but* what makes me wonder the other
> characters put into database with phpmyadmin are ok (of course these
> ones were wrongly displayed on the console before set names utf8)!?

That's right. It is supposed to be this way.

> So finally at what encoding are the strings in the horde stored?

It's hard to explain in couple of sentences but if you really want to
understand, you should look the internet for MySQL charset tutorial. Just
set $conf['sql']['charset'] to the charset you need for your language, e.g.
iso-8859-2 or utf-8 and you will be fine.

--
  Best Regards,

  Vilius Šumskas
  LNK TV IT manager