[horde] fresh 3.2 installation shows frames exponentially

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Jun 12 18:16:14 UTC 2008

Hello. I'm having a problem installing the latest Horde. /horde/test.php
looks good, but when i browse to /horde/ to do the configuration, my
web browser (tested with both Firefox and Konqueror) looks like it goes
into a loop loading many frames. I have to kill the browser to make it
stop. I'm sure i made some configuration error somewhere, but cannot
figure out what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A longer,
more detailed description of what i've done follows.

This is on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 server with Apache 2.0.52, PHP
4.3.9 and PostgreSQL 7.4.19. I'm actually currently running a Horde
installation with these versions: Horde 3.1.7, Imp 4.1.6, Ingo 1.1.5,
Turba 2.1.7.

Since the new versions (Horde 3.2, Imp 4.2, Ingo 1.2, Turba 2.2) all
have a 2nd version number jump, i'm trying to do a fresh install on a
separate (Apache) virtual host. Usually i do even minor updates on a
separate virtual host on the same server, by copying the live
installation to a separate directory, patching it, testing it, and if
everything looks good, replacing the live installation with the
freshly-patched version. I unpacked the new versions into a virtual
host and read both the INSTALL and UPGRADING files. INSTALL listed a
few PECL modules that i didn't already have, so i installed those. And
as per the directions in UPGRADING, i added the new tables to the
database.

After that, i tried viewing test.php. It looked great. The only things
it complained about being missing were memcache and mysql support,
neither of which i intend to use anyway. So at this point, in my
virtual host i have a fresh install of Horde, Imp, Ingo, and Turba.
Now, when i point a web browser to /horde/ on the server, i don't get
the setup page as i'd expect. Instead, i see 2 frames. But then each of
the 2 frames loads 2 more frames within itself. And each of those 2
frames loads 2 more. That continues as long as i care to allow it. It
quickly spirals out of control and i have to kill the web browser to
recover. I've tried a non-graphical browser (lynx) and it displays the
setup page, but since it doesn't support javascript i can't access most
of the settings. Any idea what i've done wrong?

The only oddities in my configuration are that the virtual host i use
for testing is running with SSL on port 81. So when i say i go
to /horde/ on the server, the URL i actually type into my browser is
https://webmail-test.drake.edu:81/horde/. It worked perfectly for test
copies of the old installation though; i just had to set the port in
conf.php. On the new installation i tried manually setting
$conf['use_ssl'] = 1; and $conf['server']['port'] = 81; in conf.php to
see if that was the problem, but it did nothing.