[horde] Fwd: create-symlinks.php

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Aug 7 04:39:34 UTC 2008

Hi Robert-

> 1. Is it normal that this file is not under version control (e.g.
> doesn't get checked out when you check-out horde)? If so, how do I
> know which version to use? For example, the latest FRAMEWORK_3
> tagged version of the script is incompatible with the latest
> FRAMEWORK_3 version of the framework module ("filelist" vs
> "contents" section in package.xml files).

This script used to live in horde/scripts. It is now part of the
devtools package, which you can either check out from the HEAD branch
of the framework module (http://cvs.horde.org/framework/devtools) -
it's named horde-fw-symlinks now for disambiguation when installed
into $PATH - or you can install the devtools package from
pear.horde.org.

> 2. Is it normal for this script to see packages named with the
> "Horde_" prefix (for example "Horde_Block") and put them in
> horde/libs instead of horde/libs/Horde? Putting the symlink in
> horde/libs seems to cause the "require_once 'Horde/Block.php';"
> lines to fail, for example. The documentation seems pretty specific
> that the underscore should be treated like a directory separator,
> although the script doesn't follow that convention as far as I can
> tell (where as require/include directives in code do follow that
> convention).

That'd be a bug. I'd try the latest version of horde-fw-symlinks
though and given that it's currently working for anyone I know of that
uses it, I think it'll fix your issues.

For production installs I'd recommend using install-packages.php,
inside the framework/ dir, to create an actual PEAR install of the
various libraries, and using that. The symlinks script is intended for
development as it allows using the source package files as the live
libraries, to avoid having to re-install packages constantly when
developing.

-chuck