[horde] Cookie Hijacking with Horde/IMP??

Tue Aug 12 19:48:01 UTC 2008

Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

>> Hello
>>
>> in today news there was a article about cookie-hijacking even for
>> SSL secured connections. As far as i understand it works as follow :
>>
>> Attacker must be able to sniff traffic from client eg. by joining
>> the same WLAN.
>>
>> Attacker must get the victim to access a link in the domain which
>> is running the secured site with "http" instead of "https" eg. by
>> sending a link in mail.
>>
>> With this the session can be stolen by Hijacking the cookie which
>> is transfered unencrypted to the fake-link. This can only be
>> prevented by using "secure-cookies".
>
> I guess if you have someone successfully sniffing your LAN, you have
> much worse problems than sending cookie over unencrypted HTTP.

*WLAN* A common scenario if you are using a HotSpot in the
airport/hotel where-ever. They often use no "line" encryption or
something weak like WEP so sniffing is easily possible.

>> I found the setting "session.cookie_secure" in php.ini but as far
>> as i know this will prevent the cookie from being transmitted over
>> unencrypted link.
>>
>> The question is now :
>>
>> - What happens if we allow "http". Will these clients use
>> URL-cookies or are they not able to access IMP/Horde anymore
>> without "https"?
>> - Is the setting used or reset by "session_set_cookie_params" in
>> teh Horde code anyway?
>
> Why don't you test it and tell us?

Maybe someone already investigated in this so corner so i decided to
ask first...
But yes, i will have a look and thanks for the useful hints.

Andreas