[horde] memcache session pooling

Justin Wainwright jwain at umd.umich.edu
Tue Aug 19 19:40:46 UTC 2008

I'm looking for some info on the definitive way to set up multiple horde
servers with memcache session handlers to allow failover in case one (or
more) servers in the pool become unavailable.  I have the memcache
extension loaded as well as setting up pooling with a list of servers in
the $conf['memcache']['hostspec'] config parameter of conf.php and a
list of servers in the session_save_path of php.ini- the result was
either failure to authenticate or being intermittently passed between
servers asking for re-authentication numerous times while moving through
horde.

I am using the latest CVS code (as of two days ago anyhow) so the latest
consistent hashing code should be in effect.  Currently we're using
round-robin DNS resolution for the server pool, but we eventually plan
on putting the horde servers behind a load balancer using sticky sessions.

Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.