[horde] Session issues?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Aug 29 17:00:11 UTC 2008

Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:

> 6 Gigs is low?  That likely explains part of the problem.  I was
> under the impression that with the new version of horde the session
> data written to memcache was significantly smaller than the previous
>  version (I could have sworn I read session data was around 1MB per
> user).  I've got a bunch of machines ready to go that will
> essentially double my memcache pool - does 12 Gigs seem reasonable
> for a big installation or should I find more?

6 Gigs is low if you are using memcache for both session handling and
caching.  6 Gigs should be plenty if just using session handling
alone.  But cache data can build up in a hurry - given that a mailbox
with 100 messages would produce cache files of at least 300 KB (and
that is if using compression), multiply that by the number of users
and the number of mailboxes each user visits on a regular basis and
your cached data grows quite large.

With 6 Gigs, you probably won't run out of space for your session
information, but your cached information might be lost for a user that
logs in once every day due to the last-used/first-out garbage
collection algorithm.  If that cached information is still available
on the next login, it will increase initial loading times significantly.

michael