[horde] Session issues?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Aug 29 17:56:35 UTC 2008

Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:

> Aaaaaaah that makes a lot of sense.  Wouldn't have thought of that.
> What's a recommended size if you're going to be caching?  Is there a
> significant advantage to having caching turned on or would users
> likely not notice the difference?

Don't have a recommended size.  I think a rough estimate might be 500
K a user, which would mean about 1GB of cache for every 2000 users.
The secret is you need enough cache to support your heavy users.  If a
user is logging on once every week or so, caching is much less
important.  Thus, you really are shooting to make sure that the cache
values remain on the cache server for at least a week (the default
expiration time).

To answer your other question: caching, outside of using a PHP
accelerator, is easily the best thing you can do to speed up
performance in IMP (server-side).  Serving cached versions of the
javascript files is easily the best thing you can do to speed up
perceived performance of IMP/DIMP on the browser side (although
technically you don't need a cache backend for this - storing in the
filesystem is actually the preferred way of doing this for some
technical reasons).

michael