[horde] share sql driver and bitwise operations

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 14:39:40 UTC 2008

Quoting Leena Heino <Leena.Heino at uta.fi>:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that these bitwise operations in share sql-driver is a
> major performance killer at least in MySQL. This seems to be because
> SQL's bitwise operations do not use index in MySQL and therefore
> each query made in share sql-driver has to make a full table scan.
>
> Would it be possible to change the database schema and the code so
> that each permission to different user type (creator/default/guest)
> would be stored in its own column and therefore we would have
> columns like perm_creator_show, perm_creator_read, perm_creator_edit
> and perm_creator_delete. This would allow us to ditch the bitwise
> operations in the query.

I think this is a good idea, and if possible we should do it for Horde
3.3. Please create a ticket on bugs.horde.org to track it.

Also, we don't have a clear MySQL version requirement, so going to
subqueries/union is probably not feasible yet (we should require MySQL
4.1 or maybe 5.0+ for Horde 4), but we should explore making two
separate queries and joining the results in PHP. With some caching,
the simplicity of two fast queries might be better than the join.