[horde] More login.php redirect loop problems

Robin John West Robin.West at dal.ca
Thu Sep 25 19:27:30 UTC 2008

This seems to be a recurring problem being reported on this list, but
so far I haven't been able to find a working solution. We ran into the
"infinite redirect loop on login.php" problem while trying to move our
Horde/IMP installation from a RH Linux system over to a Solaris 10
machine. Setup details are further below.

To narrow down the problem I did a plain vanilla install of Horde 3.2
only, no changes to the default config settings. The redirect loop
problem still exists. Actually the problem is more than just a
redirect loop ... reloading the page gives erratic results: sometimes
it falls into the redirect loop, sometimes it loads part of the
framework page, sometimes the sidebar is missing, sometimes it loads
fine, etc.

/horde/test.php loads up fine and confirms that all required PHP/PEAR
bits and pieces are available.

Setup:

Server: Sun T2000, Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4v )
Apache: Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) PHP/5.2.6 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7d
Horde: 3.2

We have DocumentRoot set up as /var/apache2/htdocs. Horde is installed
in /var/apache2/htdocs/horde. No SSL.

The Apache and PHP are the latest versions from the Sun Cool Stack
package. The only changes we made to php.ini (so far) are:
memory_limit = 128M and session.save_path = "/tmp". We have confirmed
that apache is successfully writing session files to /tmp.

I have tried making changes to the following Horde parameters:
$conf['cookie']['path'] - tried '/', '/horde'
$conf['cookie']['domain'] - tried hard-coding the server name
$conf['session']['use_only_cookies'] - tried setting to false

None of the above have had any effect on the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions on what else to look at, I would
appreciate it. So far I've spent two days solid trying to debug this.

-Robin

--
Robin John West
Administrative Computing Services