[horde] Memcache server questions

Steve Devine sd at msu.edu
Thu Nov 13 11:19:19 UTC 2008

Quoting "Kevin Konowalec" <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:

> On Nov 12, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Steve Devine wrote:
>
>> Quoting "Kevin Konowalec" <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:
>>
>>> We found that using mySQL servers for sessions couldn't handle
>>> anywhere near the load we have on it.  It could be possible that
your
>>> memcached pool is too small - how many concurrent users do you
>>> usually see?  If you got a flood of new connections it could
have
>>> overwhelmed your server... depending on how many users you have 4
>>> gigs is really not a lot (we're currently running with 8x4GB
servers

>> Do you mean here that you have 8x4G memcache servers or 8x4Gig
Horde
>> imp front ends?
>>

> The former.  We have 20 front ends and 8 memcached servers.
Probably
> overkill but we're building in a bunch of redundancy and disaster
> recovery capabilities.

Ok thanks for your reply. It seems to me however that no matter what
you do you are only going to have one memcache server at a time
servicing the front ends so the load will always fall to one
individual box. You could divide the system up like so
Frontend 1~4 => memcache_server-a
Frontend 5~8 => memcache_server-b
etc
But then your sessions will not survive crossing over from frontend
1~4 to frontend 5~8.

Or are you using ldap to assign users to specific subsets of frontends?
Again I thank you for your time.
We are seeing about 150K to 180K daily logins on our legacy system so
I need to resolve this before we flip the switch.

Steve Devine
Email & Storage
Academic Technical Services
Michigan State University