[horde] horde login error

Steve Devine sd at msu.edu
Fri Jan 9 22:50:15 UTC 2009

Quoting "Luis Felipe Marzagao" <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:

> Have you followed this tutorial?
>
> http://wiki.horde.org/CentOS5InstallationNotes
>
> Apparently it´s not a horde issue. Can you connect to dovecot with
> that same user by any other means (for example through a mail reader
> client)?
>
> Have you configured horde to let imp handle authentication? Have you
> configured imp/config/servers.php properly?
>
> Santhosh Kumar A escreveu:
>> Pls help me.Iam anewbie trying to install horde on Centos.I have
>> installed horde and can access the test.php.But when loging it shws
>> some error such as    Trying protocol imap/notls, Port 143:  ERROR
>> - The server returned the following error message: Authentication
>> failed.Authentication failed.Authentication failed.Too many login
>> failures
>>
>>   when i checked the mail log, it says
>> Jan  9 10:38:57 mail dovecot: auth(default):
>> pam(horde,::ffff:127.0.0.1): lookup service=dovecot
>> Jan  9 10:38:59 mail dovecot: auth(default):
>> pam(horde,::ffff:127.0.0.1): pam_authenticate() failed: User not
>> known to the underlying authentication module
>> Jan  9 10:38:59 mail dovecot: auth(default): client out: FAIL   3
>>     user=horde
>> Jan  9 10:38:59 mail dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login:
>> user=<horde>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:127.0.0.1,
>> lip=::ffff:127.0.0.1, TLS
>>
>> Pls help me to solve this problem .Iave been working to solve this
>> prolem for the last 4 days.Pls help me again.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

I dont know how it is with Dovecot but you should be able to login
from the command line.
Like so
telnet localhost (or hostname.of.imap.server.) 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION
STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2008 Double Precision,
Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
a login testuser testpass

If you can get in then you at least know the imap server is happy.

Steve Devine
Email & Storage
Academic Technical Services
Michigan State University