[horde] Email Send Limits To Discourage Spamming

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Thu Mar 19 16:32:19 UTC 2009

Hi Andy,

This is exactly the problem we were facing.  What I did is I set the
per-message recipient limit to 50 and the per-day send total limit to
200 using Horde's built-in permissions.  The rationale was that anyone
sending more than that should not be using the web mail client - they
should be using our mailman bulk mailer.  We've found this works
pretty well (with only a handful of people getting caught by it that
are legitimate... but when it happens we tell them how to use the
mailman server and send them on their way.

What I also had to do, though, was to write a hook that sends an email
to the horde admin address when a user hits the 200 message limit.  I
send the contents of the a few fields in the prefs as well  that the
spammers like to hide their payload in so we can tell right away if
it's a legit user or a spammer.  We've found this to be pretty
effective... though granted they can get as many as 200 spam messages
sent out that's the maximum they will be able to send since not only
does horde prevent them from sending any more for a certain length of
time but by the time their time in the penalty box expires our admins
have investigated and disabled the compromised account.

Kevin