[horde] memcache setting for sessions

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Apr 6 17:06:02 UTC 2009

Quoting LALOT Dominique <dom.lalot at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I don't understand the differences. I use memcache at the php cgi level
> through php.ini and say: use php default handler
> I run php5
>
> But there is also a memcache custom handler, so what is the difference?
> Is there some interest to activate memcache type?

The PHP memcache session handler can't track Horde sessions.
Additionally, the Horde session handler won't write to the memcache
backend if the session data hasn't changed - I have no idea if the PHP
handler has this same optimization.  Also, the Horde session handler
allows configuration of memcache in a single location (the horde
config file).

The drawback - since it is written in PHP code rather than compiled C,
theoretically the PHP session handler should be faster.  As before, I
have no idea whether this is true or not.

michael