[horde] Possible security hole?

C. William Graham grahamcw at hurleybulldogs.com
Wed May 13 00:31:31 UTC 2009

This scan has been around for a long time -
The README access isn't a bug(my opinion) - more a configuration thing.

Use this as a start
http://wiki.horde.org/SecurityTips

add README and another files your feel should not be readable like
this - understanding that this will give the requester a security
error instead of a not found - which says it exists  but prohibits
them from seeing it.

<LocationMatch "^/horde/(.*/)?(README|test.php)">
         order deny,allow
         deny  from all
         allow from localhost
</LocationMatch>

A couple of other things helps with these scans

Don't use horde or a deritive or horde and it's release as your subdirectory

Dead end people that are accessing your site buy IP by building a
separate virtual npst for people accessing your site by ip
<VirtualHost *:80>
     DocumentRoot /var/www-ip/html/
     ServerName xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Your ip address)
     ErrorLog logs/ip-error_log
     CustomLog logs/ip-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

Then put a blank page as your index.html in /var/www-ip/html
then there isn't  anything for them to get to when they come to your
site doing an ip scan

Hope this helps
Bill

--