[horde] Problem of slow with server-side sorting

Ronan SALMON rsalmon at mbpgroup.com
Wed Jun 3 08:55:17 UTC 2009

Jose Luis Marin Perez <jolumape_al at hotmail.com> a écrit :

> Thank you very much for your replies.
>
> I am clear that the problem of slowness is caused by Courier-Imap.

It could be your hardware or filesystem.
Check the load of your server when accessing your mailbox, is there a
proc eating the CUP or is it doing nothing ?

Here, we use courier-imap 4.3. Maildirs are stored on a RAID5(PERC
5/i) disk (ext3).
We don't have many users here, but all of them have thousands of
emails (too many!) in their mailbox (Some of them still don't (or
don't want to) know that they can create sub-folders :-()

I've just tried sorting by date/thread/... folders containing about
5000 emails and it took less than 5 seconds. The first access to the
folder takes about 10s though.

The hook _imp_hook_msglist_format is also enabled, so courier-imap has
to read every emails.

Ronan.