[horde] Horde form tokens

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jul 7 02:23:05 UTC 2009

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> I am running the latest stable releases of Horde (3.3.4) and IMP
> (4.3.4). I have a user reporting the following:

> I've been getting this message a lot, lately, and now it appears when
> I want to delete messages:
>
> "We cannot verify that this request was really sent by you. It could
> be a malicious request. If you intended to perform this action, you
> can retry it now."
>
> 1) I log in through the web by use of Safari on my own laptop, using
> the wireless available at the house where I'm staying in Australia.
> The network name is akck21jk09, but I haven't tracked it down yet.
> 2) I delete any unwanted messages.
> 3) I click on purge deleted.
> 4) Then the message sometimes (not always) appears, "We cannot verify...."
> 5. Then I try purging again, as the message indicates. Usually it will
> let me purge, but sometimes it won't unless I close Safire, reopen,
> and log in again.
>
> The irritating message sometimes appears when I try to send a new
> message or even when I reply to a message that did not produce any
> warning. In that case, after I write my reply, I click send, and
> sometimes (not always) the message appears. I reclick on send, and
> usually (not always), it permits the message to be sent.
>
> Is this triggered by the CSRF form token protection?

It is triggered by the CSRF protection. This is different from (though
similar to) the form token system.

> Right now, I have the Token System disabled ($conf[token][driver] = "none").

That isn't relevant to these tokens.

> Any advice on how I can track down what is happening here?

Are you using a custom auth driver that might reset the user's
$_SESSION variable? That could do this. Otherwise you might check
$conf['urls']['token_lifetime'], which controls how long request
tokens are valid for.

-chuck