[horde] Changes to .po files not showing in interface

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jul 13 15:59:10 UTC 2009

Zitat von "joel.joyner at uniserveteam.com" <joel.joyner at uniserveteam.com>:

> Thanks for replying back, Jan. Why would it matter if my
> distribution has translation files at /usr/share/locale ? There are
> a bunch of .mo files located under subdirectories of that directory,
> but no horde.mo or imp.mo . Doesn't horde/imp/locale contain the
> compiled translations that IMP uses?

Yes, but distributions tend to shuffle Horde files around the file
system, so you never know...

> I'm not sure what a fuzzy translation is either. How do I determine
> which translation was the fuzzy one?

Take a look at the po file.

> Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Zitat von "joel.joyner at uniserveteam.com" <joel.joyner at uniserveteam.com>:
>>
>>> Hello. I have been asked to change the French translation for
>>> "Purge Deleted" in the IMP webmail interface to from "Vider la
>>> corbeille" to "Purger les Supprimés" in our installation of Horde
>>> on our webmail server.
>>>
>>> I have been attempting to follow the directions in
>>> /horde/po/README and at http://wiki.horde.org/Horde3Translation ,
>>> but nothing I do has made any difference in the text displayed in
>>> my browser. Changes I make are simply not taking effect.
>>>
>>> The process I am using is:
>>>
>>> 1. Edit /horde/imp/po/fr_FR.po , making this change:
>>>
>>> #: mailbox.php:454 mailbox.php:522
>>> msgid "Purge Deleted"
>>> msgstr "Purger les Supprimés"
>>>
>>> 2. cd to /horde/po and run these commands:
>>> ./translation.php cleanup
>>> ./translation.php compendium -l fr_FR
>>> ./translation.php update -m imp -l fr_FR
>>> ./translation.php make -m imp -l fr_FR
>>
>> The "make" command is sufficient if you only change an existing translation.
>>
>>> (I tried it with and without the "compendium" step).
>>>
>>> 3. Restart Apache (I also tried complete stop/start of Apache and
>>> rebooting the server). I clear my browser cache, login to webmail
>>> as a test user, and check.
>>>
>>> And every time, the text is the default "Vider la corbeille". Does
>>> anybody out there have experience with the translation.php script?
>>> If so, can you let me know what I might be doing wrong? Any help
>>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> The output of the commands I have run is listed below, separated
>>> by lots of dashes. Other information:
>>>
>>> OS: CentOS 5.2
>>> Kernel: 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 SMP x86_64
>>> Horde Version: 4.3.4
>>> IMP Version: 3.3.4
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised if the distribution moved the locale files
>> to a different than the standard location, i.e. /usr/share/locale
>> instead of horde/imp/locale.
>>
>>> [root at web1 po]# ./translation.php make -m imp -l fr_FR
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Horde translation generator
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Console_Getopt... OK
>>> Console_Table... OK
>>> File_Find... OK
>>>
>>> Searching gettext binaries...
>>> gettext... found: /bin/gettext
>>> msgattrib... found: /usr/bin/msgattrib
>>> msgcat... found: /usr/bin/msgcat
>>> msgcomm... found: /usr/bin/msgcomm
>>> msgfmt... found: /usr/bin/msgfmt
>>> msginit... found: /usr/bin/msginit
>>> msgmerge... found: /usr/bin/msgmerge