[horde] "Timezone database is corrupt" - but only for certain users

Ketil Kristiansen ketil at greatmachine.org
Thu Jul 16 21:26:07 UTC 2009

I've been running the Horde Groupware Webmail Edition for a couple of
years now, and until recently it did the job very nicely.

However, a couple of weeks ago my server developed what turned out to be a
hardware fault, which along the way led to a couple of crashes, at least
one of which happened during a system update (using yum on Fedora Core 9).

Now to the problem: After fixing the server and reinstalling a few
corrupted libraries and such, I'm still having a rather odd problem with
Horde Groupware: For *one* particular user (me!), I keep getting "Timezone
database is corrupt - this should *never* happen!" errors in Apache's
ssl_error_log (since I'm forcing SSL connections for Horde).

These errors are generated by:
date() in kronolith/lib/Block/summary.php on line 62
date() in kronolith/lib/Block/monthlist.php on line 69
getdate() in lib/Horde/Maintenance.php on line 337
strtotime() in imp/lib/UI/Mailbox.php on line 199

Since these are fatal errors I usually end up with a blank page.

I've tried upgrading to the latest release (dump database; rename install
directory; unpack new version; run setup.php and choose "upgrade"), but
this has not made any difference. Neither has reinstalling all PHP
packages using yum.

What really puzzles me is that the system works fine for other users - it
seems that somehow it's my user that triggers the errors... and I simply
don't understand why!

If anyone has any ideas as to why this happens I'd be grateful, because I
feel like I've been banging my head against a wall for the last couple of
hours.

Regards,
Ketil