[horde] how to fix a borked image gallery?

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Aug 18 21:03:56 UTC 2009

Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:

>   suddenly, i've had a new problem thrown at me.  what was
> supposedly once a working image gallery in this installation of
> horde has stopped being a working image gallery, and here's what
> i've noticed so far.
>
>   if i mouse over the "Image Gallery" link under "Web Site", i get
> what appears to be a correct URL, which matches what i find in the
> registry.php file:
>
> $this->applications['gallery'] = array(
>     'webroot' => $this->applications['horde']['webroot'] . '/XXXXX/gallery',
>     'name' => _("Image Gallery"),
>     'allow_guests' => false,
>     'status' => 'active',
>     'menu_parent' => 'website'
> );
>
>   so i'm assuming it's going to pop down to that directory on my
> system, and if i "cd" to that directory, i find:
>
> -rwxr--r-- 1 www-data www-data  313 2006-01-03 14:11 index.php
> drwxr-xr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 2006-01-03 14:40 themes
> drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 2009-08-18 15:11 _vti_cnf
>
>   assuming that index.php will now be consulted, this is what's invoked:
>
> =====
>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=http://../../../gallery/">
>
> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
> function redirect () { setTimeout("go_now()",1000); }
> function go_now ()   { window.location.href = "../../../gallery/"; }
> //--></SCRIPT>
>
> </HEAD>
>
> <BODY onLoad="redirect()">
>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>
> =====
>
>   so i'm assuming we now move three directories back up, but there
> is no "gallery" directory at that level, so what can this possibly
> mean?  (as i read it, that index.php file requires a "gallery"
> directory as a sibling to my horde webroot directory, is that
> correct?  or am i misreading that?)

Actually, according to that webroot entry in the registry, the gallery
directory is a grandchild of the horde directory.
i.e. horde/xxxx/gallery.  No idea what the xxxx is supposed to signify
there though.

>   as a test, i just created a gallery directory three levels up from
> that index.php file, tossed a few gif and jpg files into it, and
> tried again and, sure enough, i got a simple list of image file
> links when i clicked on "Image Gallery". nothing fancy, but it
> seemed to prove that that's what was missing and that that's where
> the index.php file was trying to go.
>
>   so if there's no gallery directory up there, how could this ever
> possibly have worked?

No idea. This was not something that was installed by or part of
Horde. It's something your (previous?) server admin had set up on
his/her own. Horde's image management/gallery application is called
Ansel - and has considerably more files present the the directory
listing that you post, and would not produce a redirect as you show.

under my horde webroot, i can see a "service"
> directory, under which i find editor/htmlarea/plugins/AnselImage/,
> so it looks like the person who set up the Image Gallery initially
> used ansel, but i don't see how the setup as it is can possibly work.

Not necessarily.  That is a plugin for the 'htmlarea' html editor that
*used* to be distributed with horde. It was deprecated something like
3 years ago.  Regardless, having that plugin doesn't mean that Ansel
was in use, only that Horde was installed while we were still
including that html editor in the distribution.

  is
> there something obvious that's been deleted?  is there a test i can
> run to debug the image gallery setup?  thanks muchly.

Well, first thing would be to figure out *what* gallery software was
in use.  It more then likely wasn't Ansel.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)