[horde] Empty tables regurlarly

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Wed Aug 26 11:18:27 UTC 2009

Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> Zitat von lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:

>>> This is not how databases work. It doesn't really matter how much
>>> data (e.i.
>>> rows) you have in the table. If the application programmed correctly and
>>> database structure and setup done right it will always work fast. Database
>>> doesn't need to go through all the rows to return 10 of them. Here we have
>>> 15years old of data in our Oracle db with more than 15bilion rows in one
>>> table, but queries run just as fast as before. The magic of indexes :)
>>
>> The fact that you *can* do it today should not be a excuse if it
>> doesn't make sense and it *may* lead to trouble. I fail to see why
>> one can need add/modify/delete records from years ago and users
>> left a long time already.
>
> That's why there is the removeUserData API in Horde. There is no
> need to keep data that will never be used again. But removing data
> because it is old is just plain wrong and has nothing to do with
> housekeeping.

Not because the data are old but because they are old &
unused/unusable. This is housekeeping but it is just a matter of
preference if one tend to throw away more & earlier or keep as long as
it does not hurt. I tend to be in the first group while the actual
design is more toward the second.

Never mind, i just asked if i have overlooked something.

Many thanks

Andreas