[horde] logging into horde just fails quietly

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Aug 27 09:13:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Vilius Šumskas wrote:

> > > Try using alphanumeric characters only. Like "horde334".
> >
> >   you have *got* to be kidding.  that worked.  how embarrassed
> > should i be?
>
> That's a known PHP problem. Reminds me the old days when I was a
> programmer :)

  is it reasonable to suggest that that's a bug?  not in PHP, but in
horde, in the sense that if using special characters in a session
name has a good chance of breaking things, the horde configuration
process should at least warn the user about it.

  instead, the horde configuration happily accepted that session name
without complaint.  i think it's only fair that *somewhere*, there
should have been a warning about what was happening.  horde and/or PHP
experts might know what to avoid, but a simple diagnostic would have
saved me *hours* of debugging time.

  i'd be happy to submit a ticket at http://bugs.horde.org if people
think this is something that should be addressed.  if only to save the
sanity of the next person who makes the same mistake. :-)

rday