[horde] Generell Server setup question - splitting services

Michael J. Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Dec 3 18:32:59 UTC 2009

Quoting Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>:

> Hi,
>
> as we started to use horde Groupware webmail edition, we installed all
> software (imap/pop3, webserver, db-server, ...) on one physical mashine.
>
> Now, as more people start to use horde, the performance is not scaling
> very good :-).
>
> All user authentication is local, using the local passwd & shadow files,
> no LDAP etc.
>
> What I think off is, to put the webserver-stuff on an other box, putting
> the database on an onther and leaving the mailserver doing the
> mailstuff. So to set up three servers.
>
> Is this possible? If so, is there some best practice guide I haven'd
> found yet?

Sure. You can host horde itself on one box, DB on another, mail on a
third...you just need to configure horde to know where to look for
those services. For the DB, you configure that in
admin->setup->database, for mail, you configure imp/config/servers.php
and/or admin->setup->mailer depending on your needs.

--
Thanks,
mike

--