[horde] client mime-type mismatch

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jan 21 21:33:39 UTC 2010

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Yup. This is a known issue with FF and has been discussed a few
>>> times on our mailing lists. In fact, there was a recent discussion
>>> about replacing client side with server side detection. See the
>>> following for the start of the thread:
>>>
>>> http://lists.horde.org/archives/dev/Week-of-Mon-20100111/024651.html
>>
>> ...or just skip ahead and see the solution (IMP 5 only):
>>
>> http://lists.horde.org/archives/commits/2010-January/002854.html
>
> Well, I agree that is *a* solution, although if I'm reading it
> right, the default hook code won't fix my problem.  If the browser
> supplies a mime-type that is not application/octet-stream, it won't
> do the server-side detection.

By default, no.  That's precisely the point since 99% of the time the
browser-side detection will be correct.

> Obviously, I can modify the hook to force server-side detection, or
> at least override it for application/applefile, so that seems good
> to me!

And that's precisely the elegance of this solution.  Admins can now
fix this server-side instead of tracking this down on a particular
browser on a particular user's machine.

The idea is to potentially add some more checking to the default hook
to handle troublesome MIME types.  Not sure if your situation was a
one-time only issue or something that may occur on a more frequent
basis across numerous installations.

michael