[horde] Three questions for the gurus out there. . .

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 12:12:13 UTC 2010

Hi Rob,

> The list is that way --->
>
> Please keep the traffic there.

I apologize if I've been rude. It's that these are my questions and
I wouldn't know if anyone would like to know on the list. That's all.

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 20:00, Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Hi Rob !
> >
> > Right, so on to apache and https and once that works,
> tweak horde
> > with https. Right ?
>
> No - "tweak" *Apache* with HTTPS.

Yes, That's what I meant. Wrong series of words :-)

> > Right. Ok, let me see.
> > There are a couple of accounts in each domain that
> have Gb of data.
> > that's about 4 to 8 Gb each.
> > Also, I would like them, not to use
> MTAs(outlook/thunderbird), but
> > directly from the web-browser.
>
> Yes, but:
>
> >> How often are they accessing it?  How much
> email do
> >> they get?  How big are those emails?
> How are they accessing it?
>
> Knowing that they've got 8 GB (I assume you meant
> GigaBytes, not
> Gigabits) isn't half as relevant as knowing that it took 2
> years, or 2
> days, to build up to that 8 GB ;)

Yes, sorry, GB not Gb. Well, these people keep messages from
eight nine years ago. So, It's something that being built by
time (like wine or wiskey ;-)
I don't know if I will be able to migrate the old messages from
the previous MTA, but in the future, I need to make sure that
the next eight years of messages won't get lost (after the
migrations/upgrade from the existing MTA to Horde/Dovecot, that is).

> >From what you've said so far I doubt it'll matter what
> you use for
> your mail server.  It doesn't sound like you're
> running a high volume
> site (I'd expect you'd know by now) so the overhead of
> Apache and
> Horde should be irrelevant.

Right.

> > That's pretty much it really.
> > Should I go ahead and try heavy metal servers, or
> should I
> > compromise with a desktop pc acting as a server ?
>
> If you can afford it you should only ever use a server as a
> server,
> particularly if people rely on it.  You should be
> looking at something
> with redundant power supplies and (ideally hardware) RAID
> protection
> for disks - on top of the tested backup and recovery ;)

Yeah. I know. Try asking the big boss for a budget that's IT
related  :-)
OH well !

> --
>
>    Please keep list traffic on the list.