[horde] IM and document store applications

Tue May 4 11:39:54 UTC 2010

> This would be the "letter" module in the incubator of the CVS repository

I pulled that and wanted to take a look at it, but woe is me! It wants
H4. Makes sense, but not for us.

> If you want IMAP backend support for Gollem, this would actually
> simply be another backend for Horde's VFS library.

Unfortunately, VFS seems to be... well yes, file system oriented. It
knows about things like copying files around and somesuch, but it
doesn't know anything about things like tagging (which we want very
much). I think meddling with the actual Horde core for this is not
what anyone wants.

So perhaps, no Gollem for us after all.

> all new development should happen for Horde 4

I can, of course, see where you're coming from. But the people who pay
me want something very akin to what they have now, they want it for
Kolab and they want it now. As such, I came up with this little app on
my own which still uses H3. As soon as Kolab Release switches to H4,
we will just port it (I suppose).

-------------

So yes, this would be where we are now, supporting a (somewhat)
outdated framework (only), but up and running nonetheless. This app
makes no attempt to be very abstract (*grumble*) and relies on Horde
to deal with permissions ;P (the 'share' mechanism does that for us).
For now, the only implemented mode of storage is Kolab (i.e. IMAP
storage).

So, for anyone wanting to try this out (I suppose the Kolab crowd will
be more inclined to do so than the Horde crowd), here is the current
snapshot.

Features:

     * upload any file into any of a set of (non-hierarchical) folders
     * assign 'pending'/'in progress'/'resolved' state
     * assign category (Horde-operated category management is used)
     * assign tags
     * encrypt symmetrically via password
     * search for and filter list of files by somesuch criteria
     * view or download files

Perhaps some sort of API docs shall follow some day.

Sincerely,
Simon Bausch,
TBits.net GmbH