[horde] Horde 3.3.7, 3.3.8 patch releases differ from tar.gz releases

Thomas Jacob jacob at internet24.de
Tue May 4 21:46:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 11:20:52PM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Zitat von Thomas Jacob <jacob at internet24.de>:
>

>>> Both are official. the patch is *not* created from the release tarballs.
>>
>> I don't seem to be understanding the idea behind the patch files then.
>> I would have assumed that applying the patches is supposed to provide
>> the same
>> fixes as installing the source and merging your configs and local
>> changes with it. Is it explained somewhere on the web site?
>>
>> For instance, what's the point of file patch-horde-3.3.7-3.3.8.gz? As far
>> as I can tell, no functional code is changed:
>
> Correct. The regression would only affected users who installed 3.3.7
> *not* through a patch.

I see, OK, that clears things up. Thanks.

> I'm not sure why you spend so much time on discussing this at all. Don't
> you trust us if we say that everything is as it should be?

I wasn't trying to be obtuse, merely trying to understand what is
going on. I generally tend to read patches before I apply them, not
because I try to find flaws in the code, but because I try to juge
whether they will conflict with my local changes.

The issue that got me started here is that one cannot actually apply
the patch-horde-3.3.6-3.3.7.gz to a clean install of 3.3.6 because of
the CVS date issue, and thus needs to either manually edit that patch and
or create a patch oneself, which is I guess what I will have to go
for in order to get the changes introduced by 3.3.7. If I do
the latter, the followup patch patch-horde-3.3.7-3.3.8.gz then becomes
useless too, and now I know why :)

Thanks.