[horde] newbee having problems understanding horde

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri May 21 18:41:33 UTC 2010

Quoting Tech Color printer <printer at afts.com>:

> There seems to be some documentation I can not find, as I am very
> confused about what is going on. First, some information:
> Running CentOS5.4
> [root at rh5 config]# uname -a
> Linux rh5. 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5xen #1 SMP Thu May 13 13:49:53 EDT 2010
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> [root at rh5 config]# rpm -q horde
> horde-3.3.6-1.el5
> [root at rh5 config]# rpm -q apache
> package apache is not installed
> [root at rh5 config]# rpm -q httpd
> httpd-2.2.3-43.el5.centos
> [root at rh5 config]# rpm -q php
> php-5.1.6-27.el5
> [root at rh5 config]# rpm -q mysql
> mysql-5.0.77-4.el5_4.2
>
> The horde was installed via an rpm and the files are located in
> /etc/horde and /usr/share/horde/config
>
> If I enter the URL of http://127.0.0.1/horde, I get a horde
> homepage. I don't understand how this comes up as there is no
> virtual directory setup in the Apache - and if use
> http://192.168.1.115/horde I get an error message page that Apache
> probably does not have access rights.
>
> Secondly, I followed the instructions in
> /usr/share/horde/scripts/sql/README ,
> is there anything else I need to do in the Setup section of 127.0.0.1/horde ?
>
> Thirdly, the real point of installing the horde was to get a common
> calendar for the LAN and a nice web based interface to the sendmail.
> The directions for installing the horde webmail are to copy the
> tarball contents to /var/www/html and does not mention /etc/horde -
> is this correct?

Yes, the directions that we provide are for installing it from *our*
releases, not from a distribution's package.  We have nothing to do
with the packaging of Horde by various distributions. My guess is that
the package you have installed has automatically set up your horde web
root/virtual server etc...

--
Mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A. Einstein