[horde] webmail session problems, help required...

Kostas Katsamakas kmak at ccf.auth.gr
Mon May 31 11:21:19 UTC 2010

Hello to everyone.

Recently our horde/imp email has been upgraded and we are facing some
problems regarding
our sessions.

We are curently using
horde 3.3.6
imp H3 4.3.4

We get a lot of log messages:

[horde] Error retrieving session data (id =
7331c3f467119efaa34fcdb38464a629): Lock wait timeout exceeded; try
restarting transaction [pid 25439 on line 144 of
"/var/www/mydomain/htdocs/horde/lib/Horde/SessionHandler/mysql.php"]

and some

[horde] Error writing session data: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try
restarting transaction [pid 25440 on line 185 of
"/var/www/mydomain/htdocs/horde/lib/Horde/SessionHandler/mysql.php"]

these problems appear really often when i set in horde config:
$conf[sessionhandler][params][persistent] = true

Note: I use Mysql based sessions and
$conf[sessionhandler][params][rowlocking] = true;

When i set persistent connections to false then these messages don't
disappear completelly but become very much scarce.
They appear much less often.

In our old horde/imp system no problem occured and it had the same
options i mentioned before.

Our old system was with:
imp H3 4.1.4 cvs
horde 3.1.6

I don't know what could be wrong. I even compared the source code of the
source files mentioned in the log with the source code in the previous
horde version.
It was almost the same and with no 'important' changes.
Has anyone faced this problem  and solved it?

Thank you.