[horde] PHP Deprecated errors

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Sat Aug 28 22:41:04 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Recently, after upgrading my server system to Debian squeeze, which
includes PHP v5.3.2-2, I decided also to upgrade to Horde v3.3.8.
Having completed that, all of the new Horde components seem to work
fine, but now I notice that for every new Horde page that is opened,
very many of the following errors appear in my Apache2 error log:

    ... PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value of new
    by reference is deprecated in /var/www/horde/...

These errors seem to be associated with almost every .php file in Horde.

I tried to stop them from appearing by adding "error_reporting = E_ALL
& ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_USER_DEPRECATED & ~E_NOTICE" to my php.ini, but
that has no effect. If somebody has a better idea, I'd be glad to hear
it.

Actually, though, I would feel a lot more comfortable if these errors
were not appearing in the first place. Is it because this latest
stable version of Horde has not yet been tested with PHP v5.3? If so,
when can we expect this problem to be fixed?

Thanks,

Jaap