[horde] Trailing spaces in username

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Tue Sep 14 20:55:17 UTC 2010

Hello!

I have Horde 3.3.8 and IMP 4.3.7 installed. Horde is configured to use
IMP for authentication and IMP is authenticating against Cyrus IMAP
server.

Today one user called me and said that she's been unable to send any
mail for 3 days. Whenever she composed a new mail and clicked "Send",
she received an error saying that the From address is not valid.

I have usernames in Cyrus formatted as firstname_lastname. The address
in the error message was "firstname_lastname @mydomain.com", note the
space between name and @. I had the user log in again making sure that
she enter the username without trailing spaces, and the problem was
solved.

Looking at the horde_prefs database table it seems to me that more
than one user is being or has been affected by this, because there are
rows with different amount of spaces between name and @ sign in the
pref_uid column for several users. It seems that IMAP user 'jane_doe'
can successfully authenticate to horde using username 'jane_doe ',
'jane_doe  ' or 'jane_doe      ', the IMAP server authenticates her
successfully but Horde considers each of them a different user. Is
there something I can configure correctly to avoid this issue?

--
Toomas Aas