[horde] Problem with PGP encrypted mail and Outlook 2003

Bill Day williamson.day at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 23:31:09 UTC 2010

Jan,

I agree there is nothing wrong with encrypting a message to myself if I
am trying to send a message to myself.  The problem arose when I was
trying to send a message to someone else (a different account), but that
someone else did not have a PGP key in the address book.  Instead of
saying, "Hey, I don't have a PGP key for the person to whom you are
sending your email!"  IMP simply encrypted the message as though it were
being sent to me, and then allowed me to send it to the other person.
Unsurprisingly, the other person was not able to decrypt it with his
key, since it had been encrypted to my key.

Hope that's clearer.

Bill

On 09/19/2010 06:02 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Why? You're sending a message to yourself, and IMP is using your key
> for that. There's nothing wrong with that.
>
> Zitat von Bill Day <williamson.day at gmail.com>:
>
>> Well, I found my answer.  Horde does not use the gpg keyring; it
>> relies upon
>> keys in Turba, apparently.  I did not have myself listed with my work
>> key
>> and email address in the address book.  Horde then used my home key to
>> encrypt the message as both sender and recipient.  I learned this
>> because I
>> forwarded some of the emails that would not decrypt to another
>> account, and
>> they started asking me for my password for my home key (the sending
>> key),
>> not my work key (the recipient's).  If this behavior is verified, then
>> perhaps it would be appropriate to modify IMP slightly so that if it
>> does
>> not find a recipient's PGP/GPG key it returns an error rather than
>> trying to
>> encrypt to the sender's key.
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Bill Day <williamson.day at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For some strange and inexplicable reason, when I send mail from IMP
>>> 4.3.7,
>>> encrypted with PGP, to Outlook 2003 on an Exchange server and PGP
>>> Desktop
>>> 10, the message fails to decrypt upon arrival.  The error message is