[horde] Android Horde RPC client. Was: Re: (no subject)

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Wed Oct 20 14:04:13 UTC 2010

Hi Ralf,

I'll certainly be following the project with some interest, but I'm not sure
my coding skills are up to the task - especially not in Java. That said, I'd
be happy to give it a try, if you're comfortable with a relative java novice
getting involved?

If you're comfortable with how the android platform lines up, it might be
worth making a library for interacting with the horde rpc system, and then
exposing that as a series of intents, so you could (for example) specify
horde://host.name/rootpath to get the RPC calls working against that root,
meaning you could auto-configure your application by using a QR-Code,
without making your users have to enter a (potentially) long URL into a
device with a small or on-screen keyboard.

A good example of this is the sendtocomputer application.

All the best,

--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs

On 20 Oct 2010 11:58, "Ralf Lang" <lang at b1-systems.de> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I'll be honest, I got to the point where I could query the API for
> what modules were installed, and I think look at what I could get to.
>
> The project is here:
> https://spriggs.org.uk/android_and_java/workspace/Horde4Android/
>
> Be warned, it was my first semi-sensible Java project, so the coding
> is *ROPEY* as hell.
>
> The person I was sort of working on it with got pretty wrapped up in
> other things (between us first starting talking about it, and me
> making the SVN repo, she lost her job, and then after I committed the
> version you see here, she got a new one which took up all her time),
> and I then got distracted by other stuff (I'm a bit of a magpie when
> it comes to coding projects :( ) so I never progressed any further
> with it.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs

Hi Jon, I thought a while about doing a simple android client for the mnemo
app next january to expand upon that experience later on.
Are you interested in joining?

Ralf

--
Ralf Lang