[horde] server capacity ?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 3 17:43:44 UTC 2010

Quoting Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> Hi Vilius,
>>
>> Thanks for your message.
>> So , what is your experience ? Are you happy ? Are users happy ?
>> Response times ok ?
>
> Response times are great. I'm very satisfied as a user and admin.
> IMP was my personal email client for 4 or 5 years before I have
> moved to Outlook. Most external and internal users are still using
> it without any problems. As Niels said, the hardware should be more
> than enough for the job.

Generally, if Horde/IMP is configured correctly, the webserver load
should not be an issue.  By configured correctly, this includes:

* PHP bytecode caching (e.g. APC)
* Horde/IMP caching
* Running PHP as a FastCGI process normally gives much better performance
* Using IMAP
* Using a quality IMAP server (dovecot and cyrus are probably the best)

(see horde/docs/PERFORMANCE for other tips)

IMP itself is not a big SQL user (turba and kronolith are much more
dependent on tuning the SQL server correctly).

For larger installations, as your userbase grows your bottleneck is
almost guaranteed to be the IMAP server.  That includes saturating the
network connection to the IMAP server and, most important, disk I/O.

michael