[horde] server capacity ?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 3 17:51:14 UTC 2010

Quoting Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>:

> --- On Tue, 2/11/10, Niels Dettenbach <nd at syndicat.com> wrote:
>
>> I would recommend cyrus too (with squatter and idled
>> activated) as your POP / IMAP if you want to run it as a
>> comfortable IMAP server. It brings a fast fulltext indexing
>> engine and allows performance optimization in different ways
>> (i.e. partitioning). Not at least it offers SIEVE filters
>> and the afaik most complete IMAP proto implementation. With
>> idled your clients did not have to poll every minute to get
>> their mail fast signaled / received (as soon as the clients
>> are able to do imap idle )...
>

> What can I say. I jumped on the IMAP bandwagon just about ten
> months ago because of necessity. At first, I was unimpressed by
> dovecot. But the more I used it, the more I understood that it
> does what it promises. Also, I have to say, the developer is quite
> commited and very hard-working. I haven't met to date anyone so
> hard-working and dedicated to his project. So, I thought I felt
> obligated to use this piece of software. And I haven't regretted it.

My quick 2 cents on IMAP server selection:

I personally develop with Dovecot for a variety of reasons.  Most
important is probably that Timo, author of dovecot, has optimized many
of dovecot's features/code specifically for problems unique to webmail
installations (he has been funded by several corporations primarily
for this reason).  Server-side caching may be the most important of
these optimizations - this is critically important for webmail
installations.

Additionally, with Dovecot 2 Timo has implemented several IMAP
extensions that are tremendously useful for disconnected clients (of
which webmail is a specialized type).  In IMP 5, we make full use of
these extensions to optimize caching and provide a truly transparent
caching experience - a stock RFC 3501 IMAP client has certain
limitations that don't allow seamless caching (e.g. flag changes can
not be synchronized if another IMAP client changes the mailbox).

It also helps that I have met Timo in person and he is responsible, in
part, for helping me during the early design phases of Horde's new
IMAP client library.

Speaking more generally, any IMAP server that supports server-side
caching, server-side sorting, and the CONDSTORE and QRESYNC IMAP
extensions will be a good choice.

michael