[horde] Imp/Dimp Inbox incorrectly shows 0 emails

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Dec 2 19:17:45 UTC 2010

Quoting Joe Besko <jbesko at msu.edu>:

> Quoting Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:
>
>> Using Horde/IMP/DIMP, Cyrus 2.3 and OpenLDAP (latest debian stable)
>>
>> Just updated all Horde packages to latest versions below before
>> this problem happened...
>>
>> Horde 3.3.11
>> Imp 4.3.9
>> Dimp 1.1.6
>>
>> We have several thousand users over several domains on a cluster of
>> servers using Horde/Imp/Dimp webmail with Cyrus 2.3 IMAP and
>> virtual hosts.  It works great for everyone except one person
>> apparently...
>>
>> Just this past weekend we had one user report an empty Inbox even
>> though he was sure he had email and indeed, the Horde sidebar
>> folder showed 17 total /8 unread.
>>
>> After much poking and prodding over 3 days here is what we have found...
>>
>> - we are unable to recreate this problem on any other account.
>> - if you do a search on the Inbox with no parameters, you can see
>> all the email in the inbox.
>> - If you move all the Inbox emails to another folder, the other
>> folder shows them correctly
>> - restarting Cyrus & horde has no effect
>> - re-indexing the Cyrus mailbox has no effect (and I have confirmed
>> the mail files, db files and directories all have the proper
>> ownership and perms)
>> - when I set this account up on Thunderbird/Snowdove, the Inbox
>> displays it's contents correctly.
>>
>> As a temporary bandaid I have used IMP search to create a
>> "virtual_inbox" and set that folder to display on login.
>>
>> I am now working through the IMP code trying to figure out
>> when/where IMP decides a mailbox is empty and see what Cyrus IMAP
>> is passing to IMP to indicate that.
>>
>> But I wanted to ask the list if anyone has ever seen this before with Cyrus?
>>
>> In searching the list archives I found one or two instances of a
>> similar problem, but they appeared to be with a different IMAP
>> server and hence not applicable to this case.
>>
>> Any thoughts are welcome.  And when we figure this out I will post
>> back to the group what we found.  Possibly we have stumbled on a
>> "corner case" for what Cyrus is telling IMP and we can help improve
>> IMP by figuring out how to handle it.  We will see.
>
> Check the user's sorting pref on the Inbox.  The user may have
> changed the sort field and failing to display all the entries.  You
> can also find this user's sortpref and delete that and the default
> sort order will be in effect again.
>
> It's been pointed out that the culprit is likely the c-client
> library causing this to fail.
>
> Hope this works for you in this case.

This has come up a few times recently.  And nobody has shown that it
is a Horde issue yet.  It sounds instead like a c-client issue.  As
Joe suggested, try changing the sort order in the mailbox.  Issues
with a certain sort style in a mailbox would explain why messages are
viewable in a virtual inbox vs. the regular inbox.

michael